As expected, the City Council approved a revision to the city's noise code yesterday. Good news for those griping about East Village and Lower East Side revelers partying on the streets til half past dawn? Not exactly. The revisions only affect noise emanating from bars and clubs, not mobs bunched together on the sidewalk. (Even in cases of complaints lodged against establishments, police must use a sound meter to determine whether a bar is in violation, not their own ears.) To top it off, as previously expected, another compromise will let the Mister Softee jingle jingle on when the trucks are moving.
To those who feared the downtown culture of extreme drunkenness and wanton consumption of frozen treats would pass away, rest easy. To those who sleep above the din: well, not so much.
· Council Revises City's Noise Code [NYSun]
· Loud and Clear Win for Mister Softee Trucks [NYDailyNews]
· Softee, Construction Somewhat Quieted [Curbed]
· LES Nightlife: Shut Up! No You Shut Up! [Curbed]
· Theme Song Sheet Music [MisterSoftee.com]