A brief summary of today's Dining In examination of that crazy new delivery service, FreshDirect:
· The trucks are annoying: 2 years, 2 million deliveries, $600,000 in parking tix.The coup de grace, however, amidst all the references to Peapod and Webvan, is a business-model-affirming quote from Jupiter Media, once the go-to source for frothing journalists covering the web. The '90s are back, baby!
· There are real estate tie-ins: "We think of it as yet another amenity to offer our tenants, like dry-cleaning or a gym," said Kathleen Scott, director of leasing for Rockrose Develoopment. "Who in this day and age has time to go to the grocery store?"
· The neighborhood snubs are not personal: "Once we get a certain number of e-mails from your zone, we go there. That's all there is to it," said Steve Druckman, FreshDirect's chief marketing officer.
· Online Shopping Makes New York a Cardboard Jungle [NY Times]
· The FreshDirect Approach [Curbed]
· FreshDirect Taunts LICers from Across the Fence [Curbed]