We'd get all excited, but we've been fooled before. (Ah, summer 2004, we hardly knew ye.) Still: the Federal Transportation Alliance is expected to announce that it's approved the Second Avenue Subway for federal funding, allowing work to commence on the first leg of the project (from 63rd to 96th Streets). Completion by 2012, if, you know, the planets align, etc.
Meantime, Robert Yaro pens a timely piece for the Gotham Gazette: how will NYC deal with one million more New Yorkers? One thing's for sure: the line at Shake Shack's is only gonna get longer.
· Feds Finally Aboard Second Ave. Subway [NYPost]
· Second Ave. Subway to Get Green Light [NY1]
· Finding Space for a Million More New Yorkers [Gotham Gazette]
· Broker Blogwrap: Second Ave. Subway Mania [Curbed]
· Second Ave. Subway In, Sidewalk Cafes Out [Curbed]