'Pompous name' or no, the Mohawk Atelier, recently deshrouded in this photo by Will Femia, looks to provide some balm to amateur architecture critics (and these days, who isn't one?) fed up with all the glass and steel. About half of the 12 units in this old-is-new development at 161 Duane Street in Tribeca are in contract, but you can still snag the duplex penthouse: three bedrooms, 2.5 baths, and 598 square feet of private terrace (what, they couldn't cram in two more feet?). Asking price is $5.99 million (also tauntingly short of the big 6-0-0). Completion is expected by year's end. Who knows, maybe mohawks will be back in by then.
· Break from the boss [A Test of Will]
· Mohawk Atelier Listings [Corcoran]
· Listing: 161 Duane Street, PH [Corcoran]
· Mohawk Atelier on in TriBeCa nears completion [CityRealty]
· Everything Old Is New Again in Tribeca [Curbed]
UPDATE: Sez a neighbor: "This name is just too much to bear. It was more interesting when it was pleasantly decaying."