In case you hadn't heard, and even if you have, Astroland shut down (possibly for good) yesterday. There was a protest calling for a one-year extension on the death sentence, but mostly a lot of people turned out to ride the rides and walk around and to have their quotes jotted down by reporters and photos taken by hordes of photographers.
· Coney Island's Astroland Closes, Maybe for Good [NYT]
· Fans Hope Astroland Rides Again [amNY]
· Astroland fans gather at Coney Island to protest closing [NYDN]
· Astroland's Final Day: The Photos [GL]
· Coney Island: Last Day for Astroland [Brit in Brooklyn]
[Photo courtesy of adriankinloch.net]