clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Ask Curbed

New, 31 comments

"My wife and I are moving to a walk-up building on the Upper West Side. Our landlord has requested that our movers provide a certificate of insurance and workers' comp prior to the move-in date. Our movers, mom-and-poppers we've used before, say that it's going to cost $165 to get the certificate. Alternatively, they recommend telling the landlord we're moving ourselves and having 'friends' help unload. Neither of us have ever been asked for this certificate before. Is our landlord being unreasonable? Who should pay for the certificate? How many times would we have to hang out with my movers before I call them my friends?" [CurbedWire Inbox]