The tumultuous era of Atlantic Yards debate comes to a symbolic close on Thursday with the groundbreaking for the Barclays Center arena, triggering a new tumultuous era of Atlantic Yards construction! In the lead-up to this momentous occasion?Nets investor Jay-Z will even be on hand?Atlantic Yards news is breaking all over. A summary:
1) Head on over to the Barclays Center website (or check out the gallery above) and you'll notice new interior renderings of the 675,000-square-foot bottle opener designed by Ellerbe Becket and New York's own SHoP (the architects once ran us through the design). A sports management professor told the Post that the arena has a retro feel and the sight lines are better than those at Madison Square Garden, but overall he rated the design a "B-minus." Feel the excitement!
2) Speaking of designs, the exterior arena rendering has been updated to include a huge Barclays logo on the roof of the arena, apparently so airplane passengers and One Hanson Place buyers who didn't splurge on Manhattan veiws have something to look at. Atlantic Yards Report thinks this may violate the project's design guidelines.
3) Over on Dean Street in the Atlantic Yards footprint, the rabble-rousers at Freddy's Bar say that developer Forest City Ratner sent over a 30-day eviction notice of questionable legality, according to the Village Voice. Though bar patrons have threatened to chain themselves to the bar, the Freddy's gang has come to grips with the fact that they'll be out in a matter of months, and the hunt for a new location is underway.
4) Street closings for Atlantic Yards construction have begun, and drivers aren't looking forward to the increased traffic on Atlantic Avenue and elsewhere. A planning engineer told NY1, "The first couple of weeks are going to be turbulent. Drivers are going to get used to a new street configuration and there's going to be some confusion. But people will get used to it." That last sentence should be adopted by Forest City Ratner as the official slogan of Atlantic Yards.
· Barclays Center [barclayscenter.com]
· Atlantic Yards coverage [Curbed]