Despite misspelling the street name, guest #1 correctly identified this week's Cornerspotter as 110 Livingston Street in Downtown Brooklyn. The art deco building was erected in 1926 to serve as the headquarters for the Elks Club (noted by the giant Elks head hanging above the entrance). Then in 1940, the building became the headquarters for the Board of Education, and the decorative metal around the doorway still reads "BOE NYC." After Bloomberg changed the board to the Department of Education and moved operations to city hall, the building was sold to Two Trees, which turned it into condos.
· Hint: 86 Years Later, This Building Still Looks the Same [Curbed]
· 110 Livingston Street coverage [Curbed]
Historic photo via Museum of the City of New York