The latest from Curbed Miami, our outpost in the "Sixth Borough"...
1) South Beach: Miami institution Alchemist is opening a new clothing store on the ground floor of the Herzog & de Meuron-designed 1111 parking garage on Lincoln Road. The store itself will be designed by Rene Gonzalez, a well known hometown architect, while a juicebar in the back gets the full Zaha Hadid treatment.
2) Golden Beach: Beachfront houses are a rare and special thing in Miami. Ricky Martin had one in the little enclave of Golden Beach and sold it sold it for a lot less money than he planned to. The mystery is "why?"
3) South Beach:: The latest hotel on South beach, the James Royal Palm, opened this week, but we got in just before the rush for a tour of the place during the last days of construction. It includes a huge sculptural wood grand staircase.
4) Downtown: Miami's Intercontinental Hotel, a grand dame as far as downtown hotels go, has gotten the LED facade treatment, with questionable results.
· Curbed Miami [miami.curbed.com]