Despite the building's interesting architecture, this week's Cornerspotter location only garnered three guesses, but bakurabw got it correct. The building is the old Irving Place Theater, which was built in 1888 for a German theater group on the corner of Irving Place and East 15th Street. In 1918, it became a Yiddish theater, and by 1920 it also offered burlesque shows. In the late 1930s, it was renovated to be a theater for Italian films, and the redesign eliminated most of the Spanish-Moorish details (photo here). It lived as a movie theater for 40 more years, and then it was torn down in 1982 to build the monstrous Zeckendorf Towers.
· Hint: A Spanish-Moorish Arts Palace Built for Germans [Curbed]
· Photo: Irving Place Theater, 1895 [MCNY]