Naming the correct location of this week's Cornerspotter was a collaborative effort between the commenters, but it was ultimately revealed to be Rhinelander Gardens on West 11th Street between Sixth and Seventh Avenues. The lovely three-story homes, with their front yards and wrought-iron balconies, were designed by architect James Renwick on land owned by the Rhinelanders. They were constructed in 1855, and the photo shown was taken in 1937 by Bernice Abbott. The homes only lasted another twenty years, then they were torn down to build the ugly green P.S. 41.
· Hint: Decorative Rowhouses Knocked Down for the Kids [Curbed]
· Wrought Iron Ornament: 112-114 West 11th Street [MCNY]