Commenter Nick Angiolillo was the first to identify this week's Cornerspotter as the former Wanamaker's department store at the corner of Fourth Avenue and East 9th Street, but quite a few commenters knew the location and provided more information about why the building was demolished. BrianVan noted that the store had been closed long before the 1956 fire occurred, and another guest shared a photo (after the jump) that shows the firemen battling the blaze, which lasted 25 hours and gutted the interior of the building. The structure was built in 1862 and became Wanamaker's in 1896.
The building that the skybridge connected Wanamaker's to was the annex building, constructed from 1903 to 1907, and it still stands today with a Kmart on the ground floor and offices above.
· Hint: A Department Store Replaced By Towering Apartments [Curbed]
· Photo: Wanamaker's, 1936 [MCNY]
· East 9th Street Then and Now [GVSHP]
· Wanamaker's Fire [Journal American]