It took a bit of teamwork, but Curbed commenters successfully identified this house as one of the handsome homes that were a part of Tennis Court in the early 20th century. Tennis Court was a small development south of Prospect Park founded by Richard Ficken in 1886, but it only lasted until the 1920s, then developers decided the homes should be razed and replaced with elevator apartment buildings. This particular house was built for the architect F.H. Quimby by the carpenter Gustave Petersen in 1904. It was located on the corner of East 19th Street and Tennis Court, of which a two-block long section remains today.
· Hint: This Street Remains But The Small Neighborhood Is Gone [Curbed]
· Photo: F.H. Quimby house, 1905 [MCNY]
· Past and Present: Tennis Court [Brownstoner]