clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Cornerspotted: Half of the 'Marble Twins' On Fifth Avenue

New, 3 comments

This week's Cornerspotter locale spurred a lot of love from the commenters who lamented the fact that half of the marble beauty was torn down. History buff Ferryboi once again correctly identified the building at 647 Fifth Avenue, which was part of Vanderbilt Row. It, along with a twin building next door at 645 Fifth Avenue, was completed in 1905. According to Daytonian in Manhattan, the only Vanderbilt to ever live in either building was Emily Vanderbilt, the sister of George W. and William K., who lived in no. 647 will her husband William D. Sloane. No. 645 was torn down in 1945 by the children's clothing retailer Best & Co. Today the site is occupied by Olympic Tower.
· Hint: Half of This Marble Building Was Lost To Development [Curbed]