Curbed commenter Ferryboi was the first to correctly identify this week's Cornerspotter as the former Rialto Theater on Flatbush Avenue in Flatbush, Brooklyn. The old photo we used was taken in 1916, the same year the theater opened as a movie palace. According to Brownstoner, in the early days, the theater also had a small orchestra and chorus that performed during intermission for some shows. It seated 1,550 people and functioned as a movie theater for 60 years. In 1976, the building was sold to a church, and around that time is when the facade was whitewashed. It's still a church today.
· Hint: A Former Movie Palace That Lost Its Decorative Flair [Curbed]
· Past and Present: The Rialto Theater [Brownstoner]
· Cornerspotter archives [Curbed]