Let's take a break from all the drama surrounding the current Madison Square Garden, from the Times critic who called it a "daily blight" to neighborhood residents worried about its permit renewal to its renovations. A postcard of MSG in the 1930s, courtesy of Ephemeral New York, shows the arena when it was located on 8th Avenue between 49th and 50th Streets. A marquee out front (to the right side of the postcard) advertised its main events: "boxing matches, circuses, rodeos, Billy Graham revivals, ice shows, and of course the Rangers and the Knicks." Relocated here in 1925, after two previous locations that were actually near Madison Square, the Garden moved to its current location atop Penn Station in 1968. But back to this 49th Street spot... what did it look like on the inside?
Wired New York has some more shots of MSG's third incarnation.