clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Bancroft Beginnings

New, 11 comments

As the Bancroft Building awaits the wrecking ball on West 29th Street, Daytonian in Manhattan takes a look at the history of the building, beginning with the Association of the Bar's purchase of it for $100,000 ($2M today) in 1875. After twenty years in the mansion, the association sold it, and architect Robert H. Robinson was brought in to design what is now the Bancroft Building. Among other features, Robinson gave the building pinnacles that closely match those of the Marble Collegiate Church next door?ironic given that Marble Collegiate now wants to knock down the Bancroft and build a tall glassy thing in its place. [Daytonian in Manhattan; previously]