Garrison Architects is basically leading the charge when it comes to New York's myriad modular construction projects, having been involved in the post-Sandy Rockaway Beach comfort stations, a mock-up of prefab disaster relief housing for Downtown Brooklyn, Red Hook's planned zero-energy building, and a new Pod Hotel branch in Williamsburg. One of their latest efforts is Lehman College's recently opened daycare center, which was constructed out of 22 18-ton modules that were manufactured off-site. Using a modular, um, model minimized the disturbance Lehman had to experience during construction. The 12,000-square-foot space stacked with classrooms is sandwiched between two existing campus buildings, so it's especially cool to watch this video of a giant crane painstakingly hoisting one rectangular prism into place.
· Lehman College Modular Day Care Center [Garrison Architects]
· Lehman Child Care Center Gets Built?One 18-Ton Module at a Time [CUNY]
· Lehman College Gets a New Day Care Center [Modern Modular Architect]
· All Modular Construction coverage [Curbed]
· All Garrison Architects posts [Curbed]