Apparently, the Howard Hughes Corporation's plans for a 50-story tower next to Pier 17 are NOT on hold. The Downtown Express reports that the Economic Development Corporation released a statement that completely contradicts what the local community board told the public on Tuesday evening. "In short, there is no new 'halt' or agreement to halt," reads the statement. It also says that the approval "process is moving as anticipated along the timeline previously agreed upon." The community board, according to the Tribeca Trib and other media outlets, had said that "Howard Hughes Corporation's plan to date will not go forward as presented." Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver, in his written report to the board, also said "the city has now agreed to put those plans on hold."
So what the heck happened? It seems like there was a misunderstanding of what the formation of a community task force actually meant for the redevelopment. A task force with community members and local officials will be working with Howard Hughes to try to develop a plan that pleases everyone, but this does not mean the current plans or public approval process for the plans will be halted in any way. Current plans call for a 50-story mixed use tower designed by SHoP Architects and a new marina. The historic Tin Building would be moved and restored, but the New Market Building, former home of the Fulton Fish Market, would be demolished in order for the tower to be built. Community preservationists are hoping to secure landmark status for the market building to save it and stop the tower, which they feel would be out of context with the historic district.
· BREAKING: City says Seaport tower is NOT on hold [Downtown Ex]
· Task Force Weigh In On Howard Hughes Seaport Plans [Downtown Post NYC]
· Howard Hughes Plans For A Seaport Tower Put On Hold [Curbed]
· City Calls a Halt to Developer's South Street Seaport Plans [Tribeca Trib]
· All South Street Seaport coverage [Curbed]