clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Cornerspotted: Fifth Avenue Between 61st and 62nd Streets

These lovely townhouses that stood on Fifth Avenue between 61st and 62nd streets predate even the historic Frick mansion of 1914, which still stands just ten blocks north. The regal building that now occupies the corner of 62nd Street and Fifth Avenue, the Knickerbocker Club, was constructed in 1915, just 15 years after the photograph was snapped. The pretty unattractive tower on the corner of 61st and Fifth Avenue rose in 1978. The entire stretch of Fifth Avenue between East 59th and East 78th streets was designated as part of the Upper East Side Historic District (PDF!) in 1981.
· Hint: Townhouses Came Before Area's Historic Designation [Curbed]
· Cornerspotter archives [Curbed]