'Tis the season for giving, which means it's time to revisit the annual holiday tipping guide. Most building staff in New York City prefer to receive their holiday tips in early December, so to help you dole out the dollars, take a look at a tipping guidelines memo originally sent out by a Two Trees Management super back in 2005 (original here, and years' worth of Curbed tipping advice over here). But what worked for Two Trees' staff and tenants nearly a decade ago won't necessarily work for the rest of New York today. Brick Underground always provides a comprehensive guide, offering a general tip range for different types of building staff.
Brick Underground's general tip range remains the same as it has been the last few years:
Super, resident manager: $75 -$175 on average (broad range: $50 - $500)
Doorman, concierge: $25-$150 on average (broad range: $10 - $1,000)
Porter, handyman: $20 - $30 on average (broad range: $10 - $75)
Garage attendant: $25 - $75 on average (broad range $15-$100)
Every year, Brick Underground also conducts a poll asking New Yorkers how much they tip. More than 700 people answered in 2013, and here are a few takeaways from the results:
· 25 percent of owners in doorman buildings tipped nothing.
· 25 percent of owners in non-doorman buildings also tipped nothing.
· 26 percent of renters in non-doorman buildings tipped nothing as well.
· Only 4 percent of renters in doorman buildings tipped nothing, while 20 percent tipped more than $1,000, making them the most generous group.
· 23 percent of renters in non-doorman buildings tipped more than $2,500, which BU thinks could be "a testament to the Airbnb sharing economy where renters rely on supers to turn a blind eye and/or lending a helping hand."
This year's poll is ongoing, but it's shaping up to have similar results. Tipping, of course, isn't mandatory, but forgoing the gifting custom may put you on the frostier side of service.
· BrickUndergound's 2014 Holiday Tipping Guide [BrickU]
· Holiday Tipping Poll 2014 [BrickU]
· The Tipping Point archive [Curbed]