This former on-again, off-again vaudeville house took its name, Circle Theatre, from the nearby Columbus Circle. At the time of its opening in 1901, the theater on the corner of 60th Street and Broadway was in the thick of a residential neighborhood, making even its wholesome vaudeville programming problematic to some. A legal battle with a nearby church mandated that the venue transform into a concert hall, setting its identity on the fritz until the Circle was razed in 1954 to make way for the New York Convention Center.
· Circle Theatre [Cinema Treasures]
· Hint: This Long-Gone Venue's Name Still Relates to the Area [Curbed]