Why, hello, old friend. It's been awhile. The penthouse of 704 Broadway, formerly known as the event space Sky Studios, first came into our lives more than a decade ago, when Israeli investor Jonathan Leitersdorf chopped the price to $20 million (by July 2004, it had already been on the market for two years, having originally wanted $27 million). In 2007, the property finally sold for $17 million to billionaire Ron Burklewho, per Wikipedia, "is a fan of historic architecture," and has purchased two homes in Mexico with Leonardo DiCaprioand now Burkle wants to sell his ultimate bachelor pad for a whopping $37 million.
Words like "show-stopping" and "jaw-dropping" are 100 percent appropriate for this piece of real estate porn, but let's just stick to the facts. Burkle cleaned the place up with a renovation (that may have taken two years, since he didn't move in until 2009), and the ridiculous brokerbabble details what that means:
1) A "19th Century loft-like great room, which boasts painstakingly preserved original details such as cast-iron columns, custom wood-coffered and copper-leafed barrel vaulted ceilings, massive arched windows, and reclaimed wide plank oak floors." Those coffered ceilings used to be painted white.
2) "A 17th Century Dutch Tudor working fireplace, and an exquisitely hand carved backlit onyx bar."
3) There's a "French Country-inspired gourmet chef's kitchen" with "exquisite touches such as the barrel vaulted exposed brick ceiling, finely crafted wainscoting, and antique blue marble tiles recovered from a convent in France make the kitchen both impressive and inviting."
4) Just beyond the "mahogany paneled library, [...] behind hand-carved Moroccan French doors, sits the east-facing Master Suite. This expansive room includes: a basket weave vaulted ceiling, sumptuous wood paneled walls, and an elegant spa-inspired Italian marble master bath." It used to look like this.
5) "A gorgeous oasis" on the top two levels, which can be accessed by a "keyed elevator or stunning staircase with wrought-iron and mahogany banister." There's a "glass-encased great room with soaring 17'+ ceilings, skylight, and fully equipped home theater, which opens on to an elegantly landscaped garden with sunken fire pit and custom water sculpture."
6) On the third floor, one will find "a superbly appointed massage room, exercise room and the ultimate in great living - a second master suite with suspended fireplace [...] and en-suite marble bath with sculpted marble sink and soaking tub, floor-to-ceiling windows backlit by LED provide dazzling views and privacy.
7) Said "bathroom leads to the heated outdoor swimming pool and views as far as the eye can see."
8) But wait! "The crowning glory of this unique apartment is a yacht-inspired upper sundeck complete with hot tub. Entertain for 2 or 22 with the wet bar, Lynx outdoor grill, and glare resistant television. The pergola providing a shaded seating area is reminiscent of Tuscany."
· Listing: 704 Broadway, PH [Elliman via StreetEasy]
· All coverage of 704 Broadway [Curbed]
· All coverage of Sky Studios [Curbed]