Ben Shaoul, noted horrible landlord and terrible son, filed plans in November for his latest development on the Lower East Side at 196 Orchard Street, and good news! It won't be horribly ugly. New York YIMBY shared the first rendering of the building, and it's a rather inoffensive 10-story structure designed by Ismael Leyva (waaaay better than this Shaoul-created thing). The building will replace a string of low-rise structures on the corner of Orchard and Houston streets, using air rights that Shaoul purchased from Katz's Deli, which is located on the same block. The new building will hold 83 units, likely condos, and retail at street level.
Bowery Boogie reports that demolition permits for the site were filed yesterday. Sayonara, Empanada Mama, Ray's Pizza, and Bereket.
· Revealed: 196 Orchard Street, Ismael Leyva's 10-Story Addition to the Lower East Side [NYY]
· Ben 'Sledgehammer' Shaoul Files Permits to Demolish the Corner of East Houston and Orchard [BB]
· 'The Sledgehammer' Wants To Build 83 LES Apartments [Curbed]
· Katz's Deli Sells Its Air Rights, But Will Keep Dishing Delicacies [Curbed]
· All 196 Orchard Street coverage [Curbed]