The jig is up: this week's cornerspotter is indeed a vantage from in front of St. Patrick's Cathedral on Fifth Avenue down 51st Street. The corner adjacent to the church used to be home to the Union Club of the City of New York, an elite men's club that moved to Park Avenue and 69th Street in 1933. The building that now stands on the clubhouse's former corner was constructed in 1973. Further down the street towards Madison Avenue still stands a row of former mansions built in the late 1800s that these days house the Venezuelan consulate and formerly, noted restaurant The Prime Burger.
· Hint: Although This Street Changes, Its View Does Not [Curbed]
· Last Stand of the Millionaire District [NYT]
· Cornerspotter archives [Curbed]