Holy moly, here we go again. It has long been reported that hedge fund billionaire Bill Ackman is the leader of a group of investors who shelled out some $90 million on a penthouse at megawealthy magnet One57. But the sale hit public record today, as 6sqft first reported, and it comes out to a whopping $91,541,053. That makes it the second-most expensive apartment sold in New York City ever, following the $100.5 million sale of a different One57 penthouse to an anonymous LLC in January. The apartment takes up some 14,000 square feet on the 75th and 76th floorsnot even the top of the 1,005-foot-tall tower.
Ackman told the Times in October that he doesn't plan to live thererather, he will wait for someone to approach him about "the Mona Lisa of apartments." Yes, the man plans to flip the place.
I thought it would be fun, so myself and a couple of very good friends bought into this idea that someday, someone will really want it and they'll let me know. Does Ackman believe the apartment's eventual re-sale could top the $100.5 million mark? It boggles the mind, and also should make everyone in the world question what they consider "fun."
More about the apartment, via The Real Deal:
The 13,554-square-foot unit includes six bedrooms, six bathrooms and two half bathrooms and is located on the 75th and 76th floors. The apartment also features a two-story high, 51-foot-wide, glass-enclosed "winter garden." Someone please send over what's bound to be a bonkers floorplan. There aren't really photos from inside Ackman and co.'s specific unit, but here are a few images of One57 apartments to whet your appetite.
The record before the $100.5 million penthouse, for anyone who can remember back to the more peaceful days of 2012, was held by the 22-year-old daughter of fertilizer king Dmitry Rybolovlev, after she purchased the penthouse at 15 Central Park West for $88 million. Ackman's purchase trumps that, edging into the number-two spot on the list of most expensive homes ever sold in the city.
· Bill Ackman Closes on One57 Penthouse for $91.5M, Second Most Expensive Condo Sale Ever [6sqft]
· Bill Ackman-led group closes on $91M One57 pad [TRD]
· Billionaire Hedge Funder Considers $90M One57 PH Flip 'Fun' [Curbed]
· $100 Million One57 PH Officially Closes, Breaks NYC Record [Curbed]
· Proving New York's Blockbuster $100M Sale Is An Outlier [Curbed]
· If Someone Pays $100M for a Condo, Does That Make it Art? [Curbed]
· Mapping New York City's Most Expensive Homes Ever Sold [Curbed]
· All One57 coverage [Curbed]