The largest apartment building in New York City is under construction. The somewhat absurdly named but undeniably very large Sky, on 42nd Street between Eleventh Avenue and the West Side Highway, will house 1,175 rentals when complete, more units than any other in the five boroughs. Moinian Group was able to build so big in part because of an inclusionary housing bonus, which allows developers to put up larger buildings than zoning might otherwise allow so long as a percentage of them are earmarked affordable. So here now, Sky's 235 affordable units are ready for applicants [warning, PDF!] who meet the income thresholds. Brick Underground first spotted the listings and requirements on the NYC Housing Connect website: "There are 70 studios available for $868/month, 120 one-bedrooms available for $931/month, and 45 two-bedrooms available for $1,124/month for renters with annual incomes ranging from $31,132 to $51,780."
Sky is known not only for its size but for its ridiculous roster of amenities. They include a "water club" (read: two giant "zero edge" pools and all their accoutrements), a putting green, and a cafeall of which have an asterisk in their description on the NYC Housing Connect website, which means they come with an additional fee. It's no poor door, to be sure, but tenants in the affordable rentals won't automatically have access to them. Just FYI, "24-hour attended lobby, on-site resident manager, lawn, [and] children's playroom" come un-asterisked. Onto how much (or how little, depending on your perspective) you have to make in order to apply to live here.
Applications are due by July 13, 2015.
· Affordable Housing For Rent: 235 Newly Constructed Units at 605 West 42nd Street [NYC Housing Connect (warning; PDF!)]
· Rent in a Luxury Hell's Kitchen Building for As Little As $868 a month [Brick Underground]
· In Photos: The Rise of New York's Largest Apartment Building [Curbed]
· Of Course NYC's Largest Rental Building Will Have a Silly Name [Curbed]
· Two New Rentals Will Wage a War of Outrageous Amenities [Curbed]
· All 605 West 42nd Street coverage [Curbed]