Architect Jean Nouvel's 53W53, known locally as the MoMA Tower, will rise to 1,050 feet next door to the Museum of Modern Art, which will also use the tower's second, fourth, and fifths floors for gallery space. But residents of the superluxury building will get more than a quick walk to the museum out of the deal. As to blogger Lee Rosenbaum (aka CultureGrrl) points out, via the building's website, residents will also enjoy a complimentary Benefactor W53 membership, which includes the following privileges:
· Unlimited free admission to the museum (members and guest) with no waiting in lines, including private morning viewing hours
· Exhibition preview events and other evening receptions
· Small, private curatorial talks
· Exclusive advance film screenings
· Invited to the Museum's elegant annual Benefactor Luncheon
· Three full-color exhibition catalogues annually
· 20% discount in MoMA Stores
· Dedicated patron assistance representative at MoMA
· The memberships are connected to the unit, so they transfer to the new owner in case of a sale.
· The condominium owners' association will have the opportunity to host a limited number of annual events in MoMA's sculpture garden.
You'd think people paying upwards of $3 million for an apartment could afford to buy their own $3,000 memberships if they wanted them, but whatever.
· Mondo Condo: Megabucks Residents at Nouvel Tower to Get Elite MoMA Privileges [CultureGrrl]
· 53W53 [official]
· 53W53 coverage [Curbed]