Curbed Horror Stories are firsthand reader reports about terrible New York City apartment experiences past and present. This week, in honor of Renters Week, we're having a rental horror story showdown across all Curbed sites, with the winner receiving a staycation. It's time for the four renter tales submitted to face off.
Four intrepid New York City renters have submitted their sagas of the ultimate despair. One couple showed up with all their stuff, only to find the apartment they signed a lease for was already occupiedyup, accidental breaking and entering. Another couple, held up at gunpoint in Bed-Stuy, moved to the Upper West Side only to cope with a comically terrible super. A woman used Craigslist to find roommates over the course of an entire year and ended up with some real
gems bozos. Oh, and don't forget the rat-infested West Village apartment that was in a basement, so it ended up flooding, too. Ooof.
Pick your favorite, and that tale advances to compete against renter horror stories from other cities. The poll closes at midnight EST tonight, Thursday, June 4.
· Brooklynite Finds Year's Worth of Bad Roommates on Craigslist [Curbed]
· When Rats Invade: Surviving an Infested West Village Rental [Curbed]
· Renters Endure a Comically Bad Super To Live in a Better 'Hood [Curbed]
· New New Yorkers Find Their First Apartment Is Fully Occupied [Curbed]
· All Renters Week 2015 coverage [Curbed]