The city's tallest freestanding crane ever has arrived at 111 West 57th Street, meaning that things are about to start going downor rather, upat the site of JDS's Billionaires Row supertall. Work has been ongoing on the slender, SHoP-designed building's base, which incorporates the on-site interior landmark Steinway Hall. But the arrival of the 220-foot-tall crane, first noted by YIMBY, means the building will finally begin its 1,428 foot ascent. When complete, the tower will be a slight 60 feet across. For context, that's roughly one third the length of an Olympic-sized swimming pool.
[Curbed Flickr Pool / ILNY_.]
· Tallest Freestanding Tower Crane In NYC History Up At 111 West 57th Street [YIMBY]
· Tallest freestanding crane in NYC history arrives in Midtown at 111 W. 57th Street [TRD]
· This Here's The Tallest Crane NYC Has Ever Seen [Gothamist]
· SHoP's Slender 57th Street Tower Finally Reveals Its Interiors [Curbed]
· 57th Street Tower Ignores the Existence of Taller Neighbors [Curbed]
· All 111 West 57th Street coverage [Curbed]