clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Alexander Hamilton Jr.‘s East Village house will be restored with LPC approval

The building was purchased by a real estate developer for $10 million earlier this year

Via Google Maps

Less than a year after it was purchased, the East Village home that once belonged to Alexander Hamilton’s son is now ready for a makeover. On Tuesday, the city’s Landmarks Preservation Commission approved a proposal to restore and renovate the landmarked building located at 4 St. Mark’s Place, YIMBY reports.

The Commission wasn’t on board with all of architecture firm, SWA Architecture’s ideas. For instance, the firm proposed the addition of a fifth floor to the four-story building, which would have destroyed the historic rear dormers of the building. They also proposed an additional window in the basement, and signage at the front, but Landmarks did not approve all of the above.

What they did approve however was the restoration of the facade, and some of the changes proposed to the entrance of the building. Those include new windows, the removal of the gate at the stoop, a curved balcony constructed on the first floor, and the removal of the additional staircase connecting to the first floor. A rear addition will also be demolished and reconstructed.

For developer Castellan Real Estate Partners, which purchased the building for $10 million in April, the rejection of some of the components in this proposal means they will likely be unable to add more residential units to the existing structure.

Built in 1831 by a real-estate developer, the property sold to Alexander Hamilton, Jr. in 1833, and subsequently housed many members of the Hamilton family. Ten years later the family had sold the building. Over the years many changes were made to the building including the rear addition and the removal of the balcony on the first floor (which will now recreated).

Via LPC

In the recent past, the building has been home to movie theaters, and then was subsequently converted into residential units with a commercial space at the base. That space was occupied by the punk-rock shop Trash & Vaudeville for 40 years until it moved in February this year.

The four-story Federal-style building first came on the market in November last year asking $12 million. Castellan scooped it up just about six months later for $2 million under the ask.