New details have emerged about the Morris Adjmi-designed conversion of a Williamsburg warehouse into condos. A New York Times profile of the project has revealed several high end amenities such as a recording room for musicians—or "jam room," as the Times called it—and a courtyard with seating around several fire pits.
The warehouse at 184 Kent Avenue was designed by Cass Gilbert, and first opened in 1915. For many years after, it served as a center for packing and distributing food goods like spices, coffee, and alcohol—so much so that at one point, the building also had a pier and railway track connect to it.
It was converted into 338 rentals in 2010, and the now the current owners, Kushner Companies, want to convert it again into a condo known as Austin Nichols House, named for the first tenants in the early 20th century.
The existing rentals will be converted into 250 condos after the Adjmi redesign is complete; about 150 of those are currently sitting empty, and are expected to go on the market as soon as three weeks from now. Current tenants have been offered a chance to buy their apartments at a discounted rate if they wish to continue living in the building.
Some of the other features in this conversion include a lobby with a 500-square-foot green wall that will have as many as 3,500 plants, as seen in the rendering below.
Apartments will vary in size from studios to three-bedrooms, and prices will range from $535,000 to $3 million.