Two of Harlem’s oldest churches have become landmarks after a unanimous vote by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission decided to protect them along with five other properties, reports DNAinfo.
St. Joseph of the Holy Family Roman Catholic Church at 405 West 125th Street prides itself on being "the oldest existing church in Harlem and above 44th Street in Manhattan." Reportedly founded in 1860, the church is part of the LPC’s attempt to clear its backlog by the end of the year.
One of the city’s first pioneer churches, St. Paul Roman Catholic Church in East Harlem, founded in 1834, was the second of the two churches that were among the Commission’s list of prioritized sites to receive landmark status.
The other buildings that were recently given landmark status include a Greek Revival home built in the 1850s on Staten Island, and Prince Bay's lighthouse complex, also on that island.