clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Port Authority explosion causes major NYC subway changes (updated)

New, 6 comments

Trains are bypassing Times Square and Port Authority in both directions

Update, 3:31 p.m.: As of this afternoon, MTA service has returned mostly to normal; trains are once again running to the 42nd St-Times Sq subway station, though the underground passageway connecting that station to the 42nd St-Port Authority subway terminal remains closed. The MTA tweeted that “there will be a free outside the system transfer to the 1, 2, 3, N, Q, R, W, 7 and shuttle,” with personnel on hand to direct passengers from one to the other.

Update, 9:45 a.m.: In a press conference this morning, Mayor Bill de Blasio called this morning’s explosion at Port Authority “an attempted terrorist attack,” but noted that the suspect, a 27-year-old man, was in custody. At the press conference, De Blasio said that the NYPD is working to secure “all major transit hubs and major sites” around the city, and that there will be an expanded police presence throughout the city today.

Officials also said that while subways are still skipping the 42nd Street subway stops at Times Square and Port Authority, trains should be back to normal by the evening rush hour.

An explosion that reportedly went off around 7:30 a.m. this morning inside the Port Authority subway station prompted the NYPD to shut down the station along with the Times Square subway stop, which is connected to it by a tunnel.

Some news outlets reported that the explosion could possibly have been a pipe bomb, and the New York Post reports that the explosion was caused by suicide bomber, who detonated the device in the passageway to the N, Q, R trains.

While initial news reports suggested that more than one person might have been injured, the NYPD announced shortly after 8:30 a.m. that it had arrested one suspect, and that were no injuries reported at this time other than the suspect. The FDNY however reported shortly after 9 a.m. that there four non-life threatening injuries reported at the scene of the incident.

As a result of the explosion, trains were bypassing Times Square and Port Authority in both directions. Here’s a full list of the service changes at the moment:

Vehicles driving in that direction will also have to take alternate routes:

A senior city official told the New York Times that the suspect was wearing an explosive device strapped strapped on to him, which went off prematurely. The explosion has reportedly been recorded on surveillance cameras, and the suspect is believed to be in critical condition at Bellevue Hospital.

The NYPD investigation has led to backups on the trains so be sure to check the MTA Service Advisory while commuting today.

This is a developing story and we will continue to update this post throughout the day with more information.