In the month and change since the “Fearless Girl” statue was installed on Broadway by one of the world’s largest asset managers, it’s become a symbol of empowerment for some, and of capitalism co-opting social justice movements for others.
But New York City’s politicians, at least, are in agreement that the pint-sized artwork has proved inspirational enough to stick around: Last week, Mayor de Blasio announced that through a partnership with the Department of Transportation, the statue would remain in place until February 2018.
At least one person is vocally unhappy about this decision: “Charging Bull” artist Arturo Di Modica, who threatened to sue if the “Fearless Girl” remained in place across from his iconic sculpture, which was plopped on Broadway in the middle of the night in 1987.
According to the Guardian, Di Modica is indeed exploring some form of action against the city of New York, which he’s accused of “violating his legal rights.” He believes that the piece “infringed on his own artistic copyright by changing the creative dynamic to include the other bold presence,” per the Guardian. While he has yet to say what action he’ll take, his attorney Norman Siegel says that Di Modica will explain how he’ll “challenge” the city’s decision at a press conference later today.
Mayor de Blasio, for his part, seems up for the fight:
Men who don’t like women taking up space are exactly why we need the Fearless Girl. https://t.co/D2OZl4ituJ— Bill de Blasio (@NYCMayor) April 12, 2017
- 'Charging Bull' sculptor says New York's 'Fearless Girl' statue violates his rights [Guardian]
- ‘Fearless Girl’ will stay in place through February 2018 [Curbed]
- Wall Street’s ‘Fearless Girl’ statue will likely be moved [Curbed]
- Mayor de Blasio considers letting Wall Street’s ‘Fearless Girl’ statue stay [Curbed]