clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Repairs are complete at the L train's Morgan Avenue subway station

The station first opened on July 14, 1928, as part of an extension of the BMT Canarsie line

Photo by Peter Wilk/Wilk Marketing Communications

Correction, 4/12/17: This article originally stated that the MTA recently unveiled the changes to the Morgan Avenue subway station. According to an MTA spokesperson, the repairs at the Morgan Ave subway station have been completed for some time now, and were not recently unveiled. We regret the error.


News on the L train these days usually conjures up images of the painful commute many riders will experience when service between Brooklyn and Manhattan shuts down for a now-shortened 15-month period starting April 2019. But for once, there’s some good news concerning the line.

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority recently brought on Urbahn Architects to renovate the entrance to the station, located at the intersection of Bogart Street and Harrison Place, and some of the interiors of the station as well, and construction has wrapped.

Urbahn Architects have also been hired by the MTA for the first phase of the Subway Station Enhancement Initiative which will see upgrades to 31 subway stations across the city. Collaborating with engineering firm HAKS, Urbahn is currently working on sprucing up three stations on the R line—Bay Ridge Avenue, 53rd Street, and Prospect Avenue (HAKS is the architect and engineer on this one).

At the Morgan Avenue station, Urbahn worked for the most part to restore and renovate the 2,400-square-foot front facade to reflect the way it was first built in 1928.

“The renovation included replacement of the entire 400-square foot brick and limestone façade, repairs to the roof, and installation of a new framed entrance with transom windows, exterior LED lighting, and exterior signage,” Nandini Sengupta, an associate at Urbahn, said describing the project in a statement.

Urbahn also worked on the interiors at the mezzanine level of the station, and carried out repairs to the wall tiles and waterproofing mechanism. This marked the first major renovation for the station that opened nearly 90 years ago on July 14, 1928.