Get ready, New Yorkers: Thousands of runners will hit the streets of Manhattan and Brooklyn this weekend as they take on the 2018 United Airlines NYC Half Marathon.
The 13.1-mile event will kick off in Brooklyn at Grand Army Plaza, before making a dash toward the Manhattan Bridge, then head down the FDR Drive, and eventually wrapping up on the Upper West Side. Runners will be dispersed in waves beginning at 7 a.m. on Sunday, March 18.
There will be live coverage of the race on ABC7 from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. along with live streaming on the ABC app, as well as on ESPN3 and the ESPN app.
According to The Weather Channel, Sunday’s weather is expected to reach a high of 45 degrees with winds around 10 m.p.h, making for decent running conditions.
You can expect normal traffic patterns on Sunday, March 18 to be disrupted due to the event so it’s best you know now how to plan for your commute.
According to the city’s Department of Transportation, the following streets will be closed Sunday from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. for NYC Half Marathon as permitted by the Mayor’s Street Activity Permit Office (SAPO):
- Flatbush Avenue between Empire Boulevard and Grand Army Plaza
- Grand Army Plaza
- Flatbush Avenue between Grand Army Plaza and Manhattan Bridge
- Manhattan Bridge Upper Level (Manhattan-bound)
- Canal Street between Manhattan Bridge and Rutgers Street
- Rutgers Street between Canal Street and East Broadway
- East Broadway between Rutgers Street and Grand Street
- Grand Street between East Broadway and Columbia Street
- Columbia Street between Grand Street and East Houston Street
- East Houston Street (Eastbound) between Columbia Street and FDR Drive
- FDR Drive (Northbound) between East Houston Street and 42nd Street
- 42nd Street between FDR Drive and 7th Avenue
- 7th Avenue between 42nd Street and Central Park South
- 47th Street between 6th Avenue and 7th Avenue
- 46th Street between 6th Avenue and 7th Avenue
- West Drive between Central Park South and Center Drive
- Center Drive between West Drive and East Drive
- East Drive between Center Drive and 102nd Street Crossing
- 102nd Street Crossing between East Drive and West Drive
- West Drive between 102nd Street Crossing and Central Park South