While New York City’s official St. Patrick’s Day Parade is two weeks away, the festivities leading up to the main event are already beginning to kick off. This weekend will hosts a series of events, including a few smaller parades happening around the five boroughs.
These events may not draw the massive crowds that the St. Patrick’s Day parade down Fifth Avenue summons, but make no mistake, there will be plenty in attendance and enough activity to disrupt some traffic patterns. So whether your’e looking for a place to celebrate, or you’re wondering if you’ll need to search for an alternative route for your weekend travels to avoid the action, we’ve got you covered. Below is a list of a few activities worth checking out and their corresponding street closures.
Washington Heights Salsa, Blues, and Shamrock 5K Run: On Sunday morning, the New York Road Runners will host a 5k run to celebrate St. Patty’s Day while also doing something good for the community. The net proceeds from the race will benefit Washington Heights’s Armory Foundation.
Per the city’s Department of Transportation (DOT), the following streets will be closed Sunday from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. for the Washington Heights Salsa, Blues, and Shamrock 5K Run:
- Ft. Washington Avenue between 168th Street and 169th Street
- 169th Street between Haven Avenue and Broadway
- 170th Street between Haven Avenue and Ft. Washington Avenue
- 172nd Street between Broadway and Haven Avenue
- 176th Street between Ft. Washington Avenue and Broadway
- Ft. Washington Avenue between 169th Street and Cabrini Boulevard
- Margaret Corbin Boulevard between Cabrini Blvd and Loop (Inside Ft. Tryon Park)
St. Patrick’s Day for All: In Woodside, Queens, the annual St. Pat’s for All parade will make its way through the neighborhood beginning at 1 p.m. New York Times columnist Dan Barry and teacher/activist Kathleen Sullivan will serve as the parade’s Grand Marshals.
The following streets will be closed Sunday from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. for the St. Patrick’s Day for All as permitted by NYPD:
- 43rd Street between Skillman Avenue and Barnett Avenue
- Skillman Avenue between 43rd Street and 56th Street
- 56th Street between Skillman Avenue and Woodside Avenue
- Woodside Avenue between 56th Street and 58th Street
- Included in route
Queens County St. Patrick’s Day Parade: Head over to Rockaway Beach on Saturday and get a taste of their annual parade, beginning at 1 p.m.
The following streets will be closed Saturday from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. for the Queens County St. Patrick’s Day Parade as permitted by NYPD.
- Newport Avenue between Beach 130th Street and Beach 129th Street
- Beach 129th Street between Newport Avenue and Rockaway Beach Boulevard
- Rockaway Beach Boulevard between Beach 130th Street and Beach 129th Street
- Newport Avenue between Beach 129th Street and Beach 116th Street
- Beach 116th Street between Newport Avenue and Rockaway Beach Boulevard
- Rockaway Beach Boulevard between Beach 116th Street and Beach 102nd Street
- Beach 102nd Street between Rockaway Freeway and Rockaway Beach Boulevard
- Rockaway Beach Boulevard between Beach 102nd Street and Beach 99th Street
Richmond County St. Patrick’s Day Parade/Forest Avenue Mile
The following streets will be closed Sunday from 12 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. for the Richmond County St. Patrick’s Day Parade/Forest Avenue Mile as permitted by NYPD.
- Hart Boulevard between Forest Avenue and Revere Street
- Forest Avenue between Hart Boulevard and Jewett Avenue
- Forest Avenue between Jewett Avenue and Ordell Avenue