Summer is winding down and the last installment of Summer Streets will take place this Saturday. The Department of Transportation’s popular program, which turns Park Avenue into a car-free oasis for three consecutive Saturdays, will close out its three-Saturday series, on August.
This year marked eleven years since Summer Streets launched, and the program has become more popular than ever, with nearly 300,000 people attending last year’s event. In celebration of the 11th iteration of the event, the city went with the theme “finding joy in unexpected moments”—which manifest itself in activities like live music performances, walking tours, food stands, and more.
“This year’s programming explores this theme by offering the public unique moments to experience the streets in new ways—to see, hear, taste, smell and feel at a heightened state as if for the first time,” DOT Commissioner Polly Trottenberg said in a press release.
This year, activities are spread out over five “rest stops” at various points along the nearly seven-mile route.
Among those are a Clif Kids Park experience at Astor Place, where children under 12 can ride through a “custom pump track that mimics what they would find in the many mountain bike trails in the area,” a food and beverage sampling zone; and the popular 165-foot-long, 30-foot-high zipline, which will be installed near Foley Square.
Of course, shutting down one of the city’s biggest thoroughfares to cars does mean that there’ll be street closures and traffic changes aplenty. And it won’t just affect people driving in the city; it also means that buses will be re-routed, parking will be restricted, and traffic to and from the Brooklyn Bridge will be diverted.
However, many of the streets that cross Park Avenue will remain open to traffic, as will Fifth and Madison avenues. The DOT has more information via this link.
Here is the official list of street closures from the city’s Department of Transportation:
The following streets will be closed Saturday from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. for Summer Streets at the discretion of NYPD.
- Centre Street between Brooklyn Bridge exit and Reade Street
- Lafayette Street between Reade Street and East 10th Street
- Cooper Square between Astor Place and 4th Avenue
- 4th Avenue between Astor Place and East 15th Street
- Union Square East between East 15th Street and East 17th Street
- Park Avenue South between East 17th Street and East 32nd Street
- Park Avenue between East 32nd Street and East 72nd Street
- (Including the viaduct between East 40th Street and East 46th Street)
- East 72nd Street between Park Avenue and 5th Avenue
- Centre Street between Reade Street and Worth Street
- Cleveland Place between Kenmare Street and Spring Street
- Kenmare Street between Lafayette Street and Mulberry Street
- Astor Place between Broadway and 4th Avenue
- East 8th Street between Broadway and 3rd Avenue
- East 24th Street between Madison Avenue and Lexington Avenue
- East 25th Street between Madison Avenue and Lexington Avenue
- East 51st Street between Madison Avenue and Lexington Avenue
- East 52nd Street between Madison Avenue and Lexington Avenue
- Summer Streets [DOT]