A West Village townhouse that served as a firehouse for many years has hit the market, asking $21.8 million.
Built in 1864, the house was commonly known as the “Red Rover” and served as the Howard Engine Company No. 34, a volunteer operation, for some time. It was later managed by the FDNY (and became Engine No. 24) until 1975, according to the Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation. It remained empty for several years after that.
Since then, the building has been renovated and converted into a townhouse. It last sold in 2009 for $5 million.
The 7,281-square-foot house has three bedrooms, four bathrooms, two powder rooms, two large terraces, and a gym. It has high ceilings, hardwood floors, large windows, wooden beams in its ceilings, and exposed brick. Its facade still slightly resembles a firehouse with its red brick and its arched, large garage door. Though some of its ornaments were “stripped away,” some of the original details in the building’s windows were restored, according to GVSHP.
It’s located at 78 Morton Street between Greenwich and Hudson streets, a seven-minute walk to Hudson River Park’s Pier 45 near the 1 and 2 trains at Houston Street. Christopher L. Riccio, Matthew Pravda, Elana Zinoman, and Punit Sabharwal of Leslie J. Garfield have the listing.