A planned homeless shelter on Billionaires’ Row that has faced intense pushback is now facing another roadblock.
On April 25, as the result of a lawsuit brought by a group known as the West 58th Street Coalition, Judge Alexander Tisch ruled that the city could continue its plans to bring a homeless shelter to the former Park Savoy Hotel at 158 58th Street. The shelter will be located right behind the pricey One57 condo building, which last year was asking $125,000/month for a four-bedroom apartment.
But on Wednesday, an appeals judge granted an interim stay, the Commercial Observer first reported, which will allow the shelter’s opponents to appeal the recent ruling and prevent move-ins while both sides submit their arguments. The deadline for that is May 20.
Neighbors have fiercely opposed the shelter, citing possible increased criminal activity and fire safety concerns. But, as Tisch noted in his April ruling, the FDNY approved the building’s Fire Protection Plan. Further, a source familiar with the plan said that there will be a 10 p.m. curfew and 24/7 security.
“WAIT! Don’t we want to help the homeless? Yes! Of course, we do–BUT! The fact that this plan was never shared with anyone in our neighborhood, and our input not solicited, before work started is a story we’re hearing in many other New York City neighborhoods,” an online petition by the neighbors reads.
The shelter, part of Mayor Bill de Blasio’s Turning the Tide plan, will be focused on supporting 140 homeless individuals who are currently employed or looking for employment.
“We remain focused on opening this site as soon as possible so that we can provide high-quality shelter and employment services to hard-working New Yorkers experiencing homelessness as they get back on their feet,” Arianna Fishman, spokesperson for the City’s Department of Homeless Services told Curbed in a statement.
“We are confident that the court will again recognize our vital need for these additional beds and look forward to opening our doors at this location.”